Long Was the Road

Duke and Broke Toe Wilbury take a 7,731-mile trip across the country in a effort to visit the cities for which some of their favorite songs were named.

Stream online here:


Download for iTunes here:
Long Was the Road

"The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land: it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land."
- G.K. Chesterton
A message from Duke and Broke Toe: We could easily go on for days about where to eat, what to drink, what to see and so on, but we'd be wasting our time and yours. This was OUR trip. You have to make your own. You have to embrace it for what it is and accept two fundamental things: the journey is the destination and it will take as long as it takes. Not a second before. Happy trails and keep the rubber side down.

The route:
Olympia to San Francisco - U.S. 101 - 1049 miles
San Francisco to Los Angeles - U.S. 101 - 389 Miles
Los Angeles to San Diego - I-5 - 120 miles
San Diego to Las Vegas - I-15 - 331 miles
Las Vegas to El Paso - U.S. 93 to I-40E to I-10E - 820 miles
El Paso to Amarillo - I-10E to U.S. 54E to U.S. 54N to
U.S. 70E to U.S. 60E - 417 Miles
Amarillo to Tulsa - I-40E to I-44E - 365 Miles
Tulsa to Memphis - U.S. 64E to I-40E to I-440E - 401 Miles
Memphis to Jackson - I-55S - 209 Miles
Jackson to New Orleans - I-55S to I-10E - 185 Miles
New Orleans to Atlanta - I-10E to I-65N to I-85N - 468 Miles
Atlanta to Nashville - I-75N - 249 Miles
Nashville to St. Louis - I-24W to I-64W to I-70W - 308 Miles
St. Louis to Kansas City - I-70W - 250 Miles
Kansas City to Omaha - I-29N - 183 Miles
Omaha to Minneapolis - I-29N to U.S. 75N to U.S. 169 to MN-65N - 367 Miles
Minneapolis to Milwaukee - I-694N to I-94E - 336 Miles
Milwaukee to Chicago - I-94E - 92 Miles
Chicago to Detroit - I-90E to I-94E - 282 Miles
Detroit to Toledo - I-75S - 57 Miles
Toledo to Philly - I-80E to I-76E - 529 Miles
Philly to New York - Jersey Turnpike to I-95N - 96 Miles
New York to Boston - I-95N to I-84E to I-90E - 218 Miles

The reading:
A Hoosier Holiday (1916) - Theodore Dresier
Free Air (1919) - Sinclair Lewis
The Adventures of Augie March (1953) - Saul Bellow
On the Road (1957) - Jack Kerouac
The Getaway (1958) - Jim Thompson
Rabbit Run (1960) - John Updike
Travels with Charley (1962) - John Steinbeck
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (1968) - Tom Wolfe
Another Roadside Attraction (1971) - Tom Robbins
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (1974) - Robert Pirsig
Blue Highways: A Journey into America (1983) - William Least Heat-Moon
Out West (1987) - Dayton Duncan
Songs for the Open Road: Poems of Travel and Adventure (1999)

The riffs:

Olympia, Wa - Rancid
San Francisco Days - Chris Isaak
L.A. Woman - The Doors
San Diego Serenade - Tom Waits
Viva Las Vegas - The Dead Kennedys
King of El Paso - Boz Scaggs
Amarillo By Morning - George Strait
Tulsa Time - Don Williams
The Memphis Train - Rufus Thomas
Jackson - Johnny Cash & June Carter
Walking to New Orleans - Fats Domino
Hot 'Lanta - The Allman Brothers Band
Nashville Road - Eddy "The Chief" Clearwater
East St. Louis Toodle-O - Duke Ellington
Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison
Omaha - Counting Crows
Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis - Tom Waits
Milwaukee Sky Rocket - Braid
Sweet Home Chicago - Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy and guests
Detroit Iron - Jimmy Thackery & The Drivers
Tina Toledo's Street Walkin' Blues - Ryan Adams
Philly Dog - The Mar-Keys
Autumn in New York - Billie Holiday
I'm Shipping Up to Boston - The Dropkick Murphys
...and a special parting shot!

If you have any suggestions, bitches, gripes, complaints or praise, email the Duke right here: Dukewilbury@yahoo.com

Click on the album cover to view the website:








Share

Comments

Popular Posts