Black History Music Pt. 2

In celebration of Black History Month, the Ear Candy Update intends to celebrate landmark recordings by black artists that have shaped the collective consciousness, mentality, and sense of cool the world over. Next, Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On."


"In 1969 or 1970, I began to re-evaluate my whole concept of what I wanted my music to say," Marvin Gaye said. "I was very much affected by letters my brother was sending me from Vietnam, as well as the social situation here at home. I realized that I had to put my own fantasies behind me if I wanted to write songs that would reach the souls of people. I wanted them to take a look at what was happening in the world."

"What's Goin' On" may be the single most important and passionate record in the history of soul music. Motown head Berry Gordy was initially furious with Marvin about it, declaring the title track the worst song he'd ever heard. Marvin responded with an ultimatum: release the song as a single or he'd never record for Motown again.

Moving passed the sex symbol status he'd earned in ten years at Motown, Marvin, clouded in a haze of marijuana smoke, went deeply meditative. The album moves from the American dream of the past into urban decay, environmental woes, military turmoil, police brutality, unemployment, and poverty.

The effect was sure. There is no question mark at the end of the title. It's not a question. Marvin is telling everyone what's actually happening. In the late '80s, Chuck D of Public Enemy proclaimed rap music as the CNN for black people. In 1971, Marvin Gaye became Walter Cronkite.

"And that's the way it is."

Comments

Popular Posts