The Rise and Demise of Commerical Radio

An Ear Candy Update on why you'll never know radio as you should.

Stream online here:

Download for iTunes here: Rise and Demise of Commercial Radio.mp3

“Hey, Mr. DJ, won’t you hear my last prayer.
Hey, ho, rock and roll, deliver me from nowhere.”
There are few things more saddening than killing something you once loved. This particular show is me at my most unhinged and my most passionate.

I was partially raised by a transistor radio and disembodied voices calling me from the ether. I was shot out of my mother’s womb with a transistor radio duct taped to my brain-housing group humming along to a Monkees tune. It’s true. Just ask my Poppa Bear, Reuben Wilbury. The first time I fell in love was with a woman’s voice – was it Darlene Love? Maybe Ronnie Spector… Radio made me feel something. It struck a deep and resonant chord somewhere in the fiber of my very being.

This is true: everything ever broadcasted stays out there in the stratosphere and sometimes, through some fluke of transmission, old sounds return exactly as they were originally heard. So if one night you’re cuddled up in bed with the radio and the moon gleaming through your window, and suddenly you hear a strange static followed by a howl, or a plea to get a goat-gland operation or a voice tellin’ you to send a few hard-earned bucks to some reverend’s down home church, listen closely. You are most likely in tune with radio from the border.

This show is for the renegades and the rebels, for the prophets and the people. This is for you.

-Duke Wilbury

If you have any suggestions, bitches, gripes, complaints or praise, email the Duke right here: Dukewilbury@yahoo.com

The jams:
Radio Wall of Sound - Slade
Border Radio - The Blasters
Mexican Radio - Authority Zero
Heard it on the X - ZZ Top
Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles
The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) - The Doors
The Powerful Fully-Transistorized Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio - Man or Astro Man?
Radio One - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Capital Radio One - The Clash
Guerrilla Radio - Rage Against the Machine
Radio, Radio - Elvis Costello
Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio - The Ramones
Radio Gaga - Electric Six
Radio Retaliation - Thievery Corporation
On the Radio - Regina Spektor
Radio - The Avalanches
I Can't Live Without My Radio - LL Cool J
Radio Station - Run-DMC
Radio - Jurassic 5
Radio Nowhere - Bruce Springsteen
Left of the Dial - The Replacements
The Spirit of Radio - Rush
Radio Free Europe - R.E.M.
Around the Dial - The Kinks
The Last DJ - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers











Share

Comments

Popular Posts